3rd Mediterranean Conference of Neuroscience Conference
Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Alexandria, Egypt 13-19 December 2013
President: Marie Moftah, Egypt
Mediterranean Conference of Neuroscience was a great success. It gathered more than 250 participants from not only Mediterranean countries but also from Asia, northern Europe and the Americas. It was preceded by a 3-day mini-school of Neuroscience sponsored by the NFBRIE (Neuroinsight Foundation for Brain Research Initiatives in Egypt: Cherine Fahim). Many Neuroscience societies were represented: The French Neuroscience Society (Mohamed Jaber), the International Brain Research Organization (Marina Bentivoglio), the South-Mediterranean Neuroendocrine group (Mohamed Bennis), the Society of Neuroscientists of Africa (Nouria Lakhdar Ghazal), the Société de Neuroendocrinologie (several representatives) and the International Neuroendocrine Federation (William Rostene). A total of 25 Symposia, 10 plenary lectures, 16 oral and 56 poster presentations were discussed during the meeting and published on Frontiers website.
The main achieved goal of this conference was to bring together top scientists to share their knowledge on how the brain works, how it guides our behaviour and the role played by the endocrine system in this amazing process. The far-reaching aim, however, was to build a collaborative network in Neuroscience, with much emphasis on structuring the Mediterranean research area. During the closing ceremony of the conference, a Mediterranean Neuroscience Society (MNS) has been created and an executive bureau elected. It was agreed to make its base in France and the presidency turning around Mediterranean countries; the 1st elected president was French, Driss Boussaoud, and the 1st elected vice-president was Egyptian, Marie Moftah.
A satellite event also took place during the conference. The first Strategic Management Committee meeting of the N€uroMed project was scheduled to gather the seven Euro-Mediterranean partners (Algeria, Egypt, France, Italy, Morocco, Spain, Turkey) around the table, where they discussed activities, workplans and workshops to be accomplished in the three upcoming years. This European project (FP7) aims at creating a Euro-Mediterranean network of Neuroscience, thus rejoining and supporting the creation of the MNS.
Abstracts are available at Frontiers website
- President: Marie Moftah (Egypt)
LOCAL ORGANISING COMMITTEE
- Ismaïl Sabry (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Yehezkel Ben-Ari (Marseille, France)
- Wail Benjelloun (Rabat, Morocco)
- Mohamed Bennis (Marrakech, Morocco)
- Marina Bentivoglio (Verona, Italy)
- Driss Boussaoud (Marseille, France)
- André Calas (Bordeaux, France)
- Mohamed Jaber (France)
- Gwendal Le Masson (Bordeaux, France)
- Marc Landry (Bordeaux, France)
- Guadalupe Mengod (Barcelona, Spain)
- André Nieoullon (Marseille, France)
- Marie Moftah (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Hedayat Abdel Ghafar (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Mona El Tewessy (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Omar Shalaby (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Lamiaa Mostafa (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Wessam Abdel Wahab (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Sherine Abdel Salam (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Nagwa El Refai (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Mariam Osmane (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Mayada Aly (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Reda Gamal (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Sarah Elramah (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Eiman Abbas (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Salma El Shewemy (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Eman Hashem (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Heba Elsaidy (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Khaled Salem (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Hind Mamdouh HANAFY, President of Alexandria University
- Essam KHAMIS, Vice-President of Alexandria University
- Mahmoud GABR, Dean of the Faculty of Science, Alexandria University
- Mohamed ISMAÏL, Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Science, Alexandria University
Applications are invited for a PhD studentship at the Medicine Department, University Jaume I de Castelló (UJI).The PhD candidate will be granted for a period of 4 years with a planned start between September 2021/January 2022 upon agreement with the successful candidate (Santiago Grisolia's Program from the Generalitat Valenciana; https://innova.gva.es/documents/161863198/172397122/Orden+de+Bases.pdf/29356ab2-3118-49af-9e2d-60e117561784)Candidates must be enrolled in a master program and hold a BsC in Biology, Biomedicine, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Psychology or related disciplines issued by a non-EU University or Institution. Neuroscience MsC is strongly desirable but not mandatory. The PhD project will aim at understanding the role of peptidergic transmission in pathological aggression related to alcohol abuse. During these 4 years, the candidate will work with two transgenic mouse lines and will be skilled in stereotaxic surgery, pharmacogenetics, optogenetics, behavioral paradigms, immunohistochemistry, cell culture, molecular neurobiology, confocal microscopy, RNAscope, ....To apply, please send your CV and a motivation letter (max. 2 pages) before 10 June 2021 to:Dr. Esther Castillo-Gómez (firstname.lastname@example.org)Dr. Francisco Olucha (email@example.com)Dr. Francisco Ros (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For more information about us:https://www.uji.es/serveis/ocit/base/grupsinvestigacio/detall?codi=317
Post-doc position for an in vitro electrophysiologist available at Giuseppe Di Giovanni's laboratory at the University of Malta for a collaborative research project with Professor Vincenzo Crunelli, Cardiff University, to investigate the role of serotonin 5-HT2C receptors in absence-epilepsy.
Job descriptionCALL FOR APPLICATIONS (Call ID: 37/2021)
Post/s of Full-Time Research Support Officer III
Project – “Lorcaserin as New Treatment for Absence Epilepsy – A Preclinical Study to pave the way for the
And any other projects undertaken by the Department of Physiology & Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine &
1. Applications are invited for the post of Research Support Officer to carry out duties in relation to the Lorcaserin as New Treatment for Absence Epilepsy – A Preclinical Study to pave the way for the clinical trial project funded by the University of Malta’s Internal Research Fund. The Research Support Officer may also be required to work on other projects undertaken by the Department of Physiology &
Biochemistry within the Faculty of Medicine & Surgery.
2. Applicants should be in possession of a PhD in the area of Neuroscience.
The University of Malta is an Equal Opportunity employer.
3. Applicants must be willing and able to work in Malta.
4. The full-time post is for a period of 12 months and carries an initial remuneration of €31,200 per annum.
5. Candidates must submit their covering letter, a copy of their curriculum vitae, a scanned copy of their certificates (certificates of degrees must be submitted in English), and contact details of at least two referees. Applications must be sent by e-mail by not later than Friday, 30 April 2021.
Late applications will not be considered.
6. Further information about the vacancy may be obtained from:
Office of the University,
Msida, 16 February 2021
MNS awarded Best Poster and Best presentation prizes at the third IBRO-ARC workshop
"Central Nervous System Developmental Remodeling and
Faculty of Science, Alexandria University
EGYPT with the support of IBRO and MNS
17 to 19 December 2020
Alexandria University, Egypt
The workshop was held over three days from 17 to 19 December
2020 on Zoom platform. A group of young researchers from Egypt, Tunis, Morocco,
Lebanon, Jordan, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon and India actively participated in
Furthermore, the sessions were delivered by distinguished
professors from Egypt, France, Malta, Nigeria and South Africa.
To maximize the benefit, the lectures were live-streamed over
two days through the portals of IBRO and MNS:
curriculum included ten sessions ranging from educational lectures and academic
research to the presentation of the opportunities available to students and the
current challenges of the COVID-19 outbreak, treatments from
cannabinoid-derivatives and its relation with the central nervous system.
also introduced the best methods of scientific publishing, with a commitment to
the ethics of scientific research and publication.
reviewed the opportunities available through the participating organizations.
covered three practical sessions on molecular biology techniques, western
blotting and brain anatomy.
also included competitions among young researchers on their research
presentations and the design of research posters.
concluded with a review of the results of the competitions, and MNS President
Prof. Giuseppe Di Giovanni awarded a financial prize (€150) funded by MNS to Mustapha
Oluwaseun from Nigeria for his excellence in all his contributions.
The first best
research presentation prize and the first best poster design were also funded
The best research presentation prize
The first prize (€150) was awarded
to Fatma Ahmed from Lebanon
The second prize was awarded to Nour-Eddine
Kaikai from Morocco as a certificate of appreciation
The third prize was awarded to Islam
Ayman from Egypt and as a certificate of appreciation
The best poster designs.
The first prize (€150) was awarded
to Sarah Mahfouz from Egypt
The second prize was awarded to Isaac
Henneh from Ghana as a certificate of appreciation
The third prize was awarded to Yvette
Nguizeye from Cameroon as a certificate of appreciation
concluded with congratulating on the success of the workshop and thanking all
funding organizations, lecturers, organizing committees, participants and
wishes of a happy new year.
As President of the Mediterranean Neuroscience Society I am honored to invite you to join the virtual meeting of the 3rd IBRO (International Brain Research Organization) IBRO Africa Regional Committee workshop: Central Nervous System Developmental Remodeling and Neuroplasticity.The workshop will be hosted by Faculty of Science in #Alexandria University, #Egypt between 17-18 December 2020. Part of the program will be shared live as indicated in the attached program. Please save the dates and join US according to the timeline… We want to thank Amira Zaky for its organization and her valuable support.Join us through the following channels: - https://www.facebook.com/IBROarc/- https://www.facebook.com/MedNeuroSociety/https://fb.me/e/a5NVAKMMq
Giuseppe Di GiovanniMNS President